Frequently Asked Questions

How do I tip the Borough crew?

posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:14 AM by Corry Sheffler

If you'd like to tip the Borough crew for their efforts in garbage collection, leaf collection, etc., the safest way to do this is by dropping off the tip at the Borough office at 564 Stanton Street.  The Borough Secretary will make sure the tip is distributed to the workers.  

I'm new to the Borough. Where do I go to vote?

posted Oct 23, 2012, 8:01 AM by Corry Sheffler

Southwest Greensburg Borough has two polling places: 
Greensburg Church of the Brethren, 554 Stanton Street
Southwest Greensburg VFD Fire Hall, 401 Guthrie Street
By filling in your address at the site below, you can find out your polling place:

Who is the constable for Southwest Greensburg?

posted Oct 16, 2012, 12:41 PM by Corry Sheffler

The constable for Southwest Greensburg Borough is Robert Freeman.  Robert can be reached at his office at 724-836-8686.  Robert's cellphone number is 412-558-4863.

I see pickup trucks driving through the Borough alleys looking for items in the trash they can take. Can they do this?

posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:17 AM by Corry Sheffler

Southwest Greensburg Borough is the only authorized garbage collector.  If you see someone driving through an alley and taking discarded items, please contact the police department.  Besides not being authorized, individuals doing this can create a mess as they go through the garbage and may take things that were not being discarded.

Can we rent a dumpster from the Borough?

posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:12 AM by Corry Sheffler   [ updated Jul 5, 2012, 7:12 AM ]

The Borough no longer rents dumpsters.

What additional charges are there for certain garbage items?

posted Jul 2, 2012, 12:08 PM by Corry Sheffler

The charge for tires is $3.00 and an appliance with freon is $15.00  The Borough reserves the right to charge for "excessive garbage" as deemed by the Streets and Sanitation supervisor.

How do I change the garbage bill account name?

posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:25 AM by Corry Sheffler

For residents that rent, the garbage bill account needs to be in the name of the property owner.  For new property owners, a garbage bill will be sent to you once the Borough office receives the monthly list of property transfers from the Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds.  In the meantime, any garbage at the property will continue to be picked up.

I just moved into the Borough. When will the garbage be picked up?

posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:15 AM by Corry Sheffler

This website has a Maps section that has a garbage collection map.  The map shows by street and alley what day garbage is collected.  Most people put out garbage the night before the collection day as the Streets & Sanitation crew starts work at 6:00 a.m.

Do I need a permit for a new roof or siding?

posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:35 AM by Corry Sheffler

Generally, a permit is required when there is a change to the "footprint" of the property such as an addition, expansion, enclosure, deck, etc.  Maintenance and repairs to an existing roof or siding would not require a permit.

1-9 of 9